Sunday 28 October 2012

Chariots- Pole to pole


This week I was lucky enough to pick up my first Warlord chariots, and I thought I'd post a couple of shots.  The Warlord is on the right, next to the best chariot I've found, from Relik, on the left. 

The Warlord is noticeably longer in the body, and very much longer in the pole.  A charioteer would get knackered running up and down that!  I'll be cutting mine down to the same length as the Relik model. I like the wicker bodywork of the chariot, the pole is nice and slender, and the yoke has great detail.  The wheels are nicely proportioned- almost as nice as Relik's (just feeling a tiny tad too small, perhaps because the chariot body is larger?).


Like Relik's, the Warlord horses are well proportioned and nicely animated.  As with many chariot horse models, I cannot help but wish that they be a bit more pony-like, but I'll certainly be very pleased to use them.  I've not photographed the crew, but they are well animated, too.

All in all I'm very pleased with my Warlords.  Someone clearly did some research before sculpting them.  They will form a valuable addition to my force; I may even pick up a few more!


5 comments:

Counterpane said...

I recall seeing an article in Military Modelling in the 1980s (I think by Phil Barker) suggesting that the wickerwork sides were no longer spported by archaeologists and pushing something far more like your favourite.

Of course that was thirty years ago. Archaeological opinion may have reverted by now!

BigRedBat said...

Hi Richard, I quite like the wicker, takes me back to my old Airfix models!

A nice feature is they also have the wicker floor as a primitive form of suspension.

Cheers, Simon

John said...

BRB, these posts on Celtic chariots have been great. Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to do the research!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks John! Simon

BigRedBat said...

Thanks John! Simon